Palazzo Crivelli - Via Pontaccio 12, Milan
Auction: 19,20 june
Viewing: 15,16,17 june (10/13 – 14.30/18.30)
The up-coming spring auction of the Department of Decorative Arts of the 20th century and Design (19 and 20 June) presents a catalogue that, according to tradition, is characterized by the presence of historical authors known and appreciated by the market, along with furniture and unpublished works, supported by archival and bibliographic surveys.
A large collection of Murano glass will include some masterpieces. The famous Connubio in ferro e vetromade by the Venetian iron master Umberto Bellotto, executed by Vetreria Artistica Barovier and exhibited at the Ist Biennale di Arti decorative in Monza in 1923, stands out for its preciousness and rarity. An exceptional bulbous vase by Carlo Scarpa made by MVM Cappellin glassworks, on which rare palmette decorations are applied to blue vitreous material. Some examples of the Corrosi e Pulegosi series and two Alba and Laguna vases by Tomaso Buzzi exemplify the Venini production of the 20s and 30s, works by Vittorio Zecchin and Napoleone Martinuzzi and two large murrine vases from the Barovier glassworks complete this selection.
Also worthy of note is a group of stained glass windows realized on cardboard by the artists Tomaso Buzzi, Salvatore Saponaro, Libero Andreotti and Ezio Giovannozzi, three of which were executed by Pietro Chiesa in Milano: in particular the glass panel Le Nuvole was part of a work exhibited at the Venice Biennale of 1926 and at the 1927 Bienniale of Monza.
One of the rare pieces of furniture designed by the great Italian painter of the 20th century, Mario Sironi will be presented for the first time at auction namely the walnut stipo bar, decorated with relief polychrome motifs. Made in 1936, it is accompanied by a declaration of authenticity and provenance issued Agnoldomenico Pica, architect, essayist and art critic linked to Sironi by a personal bond of friendship.
From the residence of Guido Donegani in Moltrasio, where the industrialist, Chairman of Montecatini and director of the Banca Commerciale Italiana, hosted the English statesman Winston Churchill, come some precious furnishings commissioned between 1926 and 1931 and attributed to Jacques-Émile Ruhlmann's atelier.
The catalogue also features fanciful furniture of the 20s by Piero Portaluppi, at that time artistic director of the Italian Ceramic Society of Laveno, who created structures and furnishings on the Lombard side of Lago Maggiore. The baroque taste is combined with the ironic sensitivity of the architect, anticipating some styles of the international déco.
The furnishings of the R apartment of 1947 by Pietro Lingeri, an architect of Como and friend of Giuseppe Terragni will also go under the hammer.
A cabinet of the '50s and two chairs from the Bar Pasticceria La Genzianella of Cortina d'Ampezzo (1947-48) by Edoardo Gellner, the architect appointed by Enrico Mattei for the project and realization of the Agip Social Village of Corte di Cadore (1954-1963), will go under the hammer.
Melchiorre Bega is represented by the furnishings designed for the villa of an important family of the Lombard bourgeoisie; Gio Ponti with furniture, objects and numerous drawings of private provenance, tracked and verified; by Carlo Scarpa there will also be a rare architectural design.
Two "839" model chairs by Ico Parisi produced by Cassina since 1955 and two famous "Digamma" armchairs complete with footrests, by Ignazio Gardella produced by Gavina since 1957 will also be on sale.
Max Ingrand will be present with a monumental "model 2196" chandelier made by Fontana Arte, consisting of two coupled disks in corroded glass and gray curved crystal shell and a "model 2338" with drops, both coming from a Milanese apartment designed by architects Adriano Colombo, Pietro Galli and Vittorio Tavecchia and published in the "Rivista dell'Arredamento" of June 1966. From the same residence there is a desk with two drawers by Franco Albini, chairs by Ico Parisi, lamps by Stilnovo and Fontana Arte.
Lamps by Angelo Lelii and a prototype for a floor lamp by Gino Sarfatti complete the selection of lighting fixtures from the 50s and 60s.
There is a new maquette of the Aldo Rossi project for the Congress Center of the Municipality of Milano of 1991, and a collection of objects and furnishings from two different Italian apartments.
Part of the sale will also be dedicated to the Deco furnishings from a villa in Liguria and an important Roman apartment.